ADSM-L

Re: Novell Backup Errors

2006-03-01 10:26:38
Subject: Re: Novell Backup Errors
From: Patrick Boutilier <boutilpj AT EDNET.NS DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 11:25:42 -0400
Troy Frank wrote:
My confusion was the use of "q tsa nds" during setup of the client,
since it's not necessary to make nds backups work.  All you need for
that is to add NDS: to your dsm.opt DOMAIN statement.

But you still have to provide a NDS user and password to backup the NDS
with at aome point. Using "q tsa nds" lets you specify that
userid/password combo from the prompt instead of having a scheduled
backup sitting there waiting for that information. :-)

  Also, oddly
enough you've gotta be careful to try older tsa versions also.  I always
try the newer first, but for the last several versions things have a
tendency to break, then be fixed, then break again in the next version.

One thing I forgot to ask previously was what netware version/patch
revision he's at.  I'm assuming he's at some rev of Netware5 given the
tsa he's using, which also leads to questions about what kind of volume
vol1: is (tfs/nss).  He may want to run a vrepair, or nss poolverify,
just to make sure all's well with the filesystem.  Might also be a good
idea to run a full repair of the nds partition that this server is in.

Troy Frank
Network Services
University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation
608.829.5384

boutilpj AT EDNET.NS DOT CA 2/28/2006 5:43 PM >>>
<snip>