ADSM-L

Re: Remote volumes and appending.

2006-02-28 16:55:26
Subject: Re: Remote volumes and appending.
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:11:33 -0500
>> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:56:58 -0000, "Smith, I \(Ian\)" <Ian.Smith AT
>> rabobank DOT com> said:

> I agree, with the expectation regarding filling until max capacity. I
> don't understand why an area of tape isn't marked in the database as the
> 400 GB virtual volume then filled until capacity in a filling state then
> marked as full.

Well, I understand that part; It would make the virtual volumes quite
a bit more clumsy.  Keep in mind, there's no way to tell how many bits
on tape you'll need to mark off to generate an effective capacity of
'400G'.  If you set aside 400GB of actual tape space, then you're
forcing yourself to waste all the possible compression win.

- Allen S. Rout