ADSM-L

Re: export nodes causes TSM server crash

2006-02-27 15:57:00
Subject: Re: export nodes causes TSM server crash
From: Kurt Beyers <Kurt.Beyers AT DOLMEN DOT BE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:57:02 +0100
John,

The export of just 15 nodes was tested earlier on. It contained the larger
nodes already. At that time, the TSM server just was slowly (high CPU
consumption and a lot of disk I/O which is normal of course). It worked fine.

The export of all of the nodes at the same time causes an immediate crash of
the TSM server. I did not mean to do the export at once but did not notice that
the parallel/serial commands would not work as the exports are started in the
background.

So I changed the script to work in groups of 15 nodes. The export of the nodes
in groups of 15 caused a new crash when the last group export was started. A
few of the earlier exports were still running at that time, the nodes in the
latest group export were rather small nodes.

A support call was logged of course.  The question is what causes the TSM
server crash. Except the PK_EXCEPTION and PK_THREAD messages in the application
log, nothing else is found.

Just have to wait for some new from the labs at this time. And will contact
them tomorrow again.

regards,
Kurt