ADSM-L

Re: AW: (Too) long no query restore?

2006-02-27 04:32:10
Subject: Re: AW: (Too) long no query restore?
From: Rainer Wolf <rainer.wolf AT UNI-ULM DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:27:22 +0100
Hi,
 don't think so . Had this problem some years ago on aix-tsm 5.1.x server
and now actually the same on solaris-tsm 5.3.2.1 server.

When migrating from aix to solaris I first thought this problem
has evacuated. Moving our cyrus-mail-server on the new platform
the restore was continously very good - even after 8 months
( we have retver=45 ) . The data to be restored is located
on 2-4 tapes (3592) and disk-cache.
The relation between aktive - inactive files for this node is about
4.2 mio aktive files  + 1.1 mio inactive files.
Because of the fantastic new drives we did not do any tape-reclamation
and we had no problems at all.
Because my collegue who normally do the restorals on mail-folders
( mostly just some hundred files up to some thousand using
a restore command like   ' dsmc restore /mail/imap/x/user/xuser/remfolder/ ' )
is sitting vis-a-vis I know that the restore-performance was always very good.
Then I said to him   -ohhh we should use the tapes a bit more before
running out of warranty-  and started some reclamations on tapes
being full and with a usage of lets say 20% or less.
Thus one of the tapes the mail-server-tsm-client has data on
( the storagepool has node-collocation) has reclaimed ...
... and uuuuuups  : the old problem ( waiting for files ...) suddenly arised
again.
So another 'workaround' might be not to use reclamation ;-)

Greetings
Rainer

"Whitlock, Brett" wrote:

> Is this problem platform specific?

Rainer Wolf                          eMail:       rainer.wolf AT uni-ulm DOT de
kiz - Abt. Infrastruktur           Tel/Fax:      ++49 731 50-22482/22471
Universitaet Ulm                     wwweb:        http://kiz.uni-ulm.de