ADSM-L

Fw: How to backup CIFS share on NetApp?

2006-02-24 15:24:20
Subject: Fw: How to backup CIFS share on NetApp?
From: Pete Tanenhaus <tanenhau AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:23:52 -0500
>>>Hi there,
>>>
>>>We have a number of CIFS shares on NetApp filers. For security
>>>reasons these cannot be accessed via NFS. Our issue is backing them
>>>up. If I log into a windows box and run the backup all is good.....
>>>If I'm logged out, a scheduled backup of the share will fail (since
>>>it's not mounted when I'm not logged in). Does anyone have any
>>>thoughts on how to get around this? Or how to run unattended/unlogged
>>>in backups of a remote windows share in any way shape or form, for
>>>that matter!
>>>

>>>Thanks for your help
>>>

>>>Jason

You need to configure your services to log in under an account which
is authorized to access the share.

This really will only work if the NetApp filer has been configured to be
a trusted domain member, and the account which accesses the share is a
member of the same domain.

If the account isn't a member of the same domain as the filer
(or if the filer is a stand-alone server in a workgroup), a filer
user and password must be specified to access the share (the only
way of doing this from the sched service would be to map the share with
the user and password via a pre schedule command).

Another thing to be aware of is that newer versions of Windows
(XP and 2003 server) don't provide persistent drive mappings to services,
so unless the shares are explicitly mapped to drive letters via a
pre-schedule command, the UNC name of the share must be specified in
the schedule and in the domain option if it is being used.

Note that if the account isn't a member of the same domain as the
filer, the share can't be accessed directly via the UNC name, so
in this case really the only alternative is to explicitly map
the share to a drive letter with a pre-schedule command.

Also be aware that the current TSM client doesn't backup the
share permissions and may have problems backing up NTFS security
on share files and directories.

Support for backing up share permissions and fixes for problems
backing up NTFS security on share files/directories will be
included in the upcoming 5.33 client release.

Hope this helps .....

Pete Tanenhaus
email: tanenhau AT us.ibm DOT com
tieline: 320.8778, external: 607.754.4213

"Those who refuse to challenge authority are condemned to conform to it"

---------------------- Forwarded by Pete Tanenhaus/San Jose/IBM on