ADSM-L

Re: AW: (Too) long no query restore?

2006-02-24 14:18:15
Subject: Re: AW: (Too) long no query restore?
From: "Whitlock, Brett" <brett.whitlock AT COUNTRYFINANCIAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:17:50 -0600
Is this problem platform specific?

-----Original Message-----
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Richard Sims
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 9:47 AM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] AW: (Too) long no query restore?

Ironically, the most crucial part of the TSM product - restoral - has
become its most troublesome.  Since the advent of the well-intentioned
NQR, when customers perform qualified restorals they never know what to
expect in terms of restoral speed.
Indeed, restorals can end up being prohibitively long.

I'm incredulous that IBM *still* has not tackled and resolved this
long-festering problem in the product, which has simply lingered for
years now.  Descriptive APARs and Technotes only tell of alternatives
for when the customer runs into a debilitating restoral, but we see no
initiative to address the architectural problems.  TSM is an Enterprise
level product, and yet a crippling problem of this severity remains in
it?
Not good.

    Richard Sims