ADSM-L

Re: Offsite library via fiber (Specifically VTL)

2006-02-15 12:56:16
Subject: Re: Offsite library via fiber (Specifically VTL)
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:55:21 -0500
Actually, it IS just a big chunk of SATA disk with sequential files, not
a "formal" VTL.
I should have explained, I was using "VTL" the concept, not "VTL" a
product!

But I"ll give you my thinking, anyway:

Advantages to using a VTL(the product):
*       The VTL software does compression for you.  We have to set up
our clients to do compression.  If your client data isn't already
compressed, and you are MOVING existing data from tape back to a pool of
disk - it's gonna expand again.  (We've been using client compression
for the last year because I was planning for this.)
*       more of a "drop in" and forget it solution, less setup knowledge
required (probably not an issue for very experienced TSM admins)

Advantage of having "just a pool of disk"
*       probably more flexible in terms of being able to expand at will.
We can add-replace drawers with bigger drives.  We can add to our
solution with disk from a different VENDOR if we want.  My past
experience is that the more generic and expandable your hardware
solution, the longer you are able to get return on the investment.

*       I'm not jazzed that several of the VTL's on the market use
software that comes from a from a 3rd party (shades of Emc buys Clarion
buys Legato buys OTG etc.  Just don't want to go there.  Don't' want to
have to think about what happens to my support 3 years from now.)

BUT, our decision actually was determined by some VERY UNIQUE
requirements we have for purging sensitive data if we need to.  We
create smaller LUNS than most people would so that we can segregate them
and replace chunks of disk physically when we need to.  (Don't ask.)  In
other words, we wanted more control over the internal placement of data.

I think depending on your installation, either can be an excellent
solution.

If you need something relatively small, drop in, VTL is a better way to
go (with a VENDOR YOU TRUST TO BE AROUND FOR A WHILE).
If your shop doesn't have TSM skills, or time to think about it, a VTL
is a better way to go

If you are growing very fast, understand the technology, and need
something with a lot of expandability, I would look more at building
your own solution from building blocks you can be flexible with (and a
VENDOR YOU TRUST TO BE AROUND FOR A WHILE).

My opinions and nobody else's..
Wanda.