ADSM-L

Re: LTO devclass and PREFIX?

2006-02-15 12:14:29
Subject: Re: LTO devclass and PREFIX?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:14:05 -0500
I think the answer to your question is "NO".

The PREFIX gets written into the INTERNAL tape label, in the data set
name field, not the volume field, doesn't have anything to do with
barcodes.

PREFIX is useful if you have a mainframe TSM server, because that name
can be useful in identifying your TSM tapes to the mainframe tape
management system.  (On non-mainframe TSM servers, TSM does its own tape
volume management.  On the mainframe, you usually have TSM interface
with the existing mainframe tape management system.)

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)