ADSM-L

Re: 5.3.2.0 client not backing up all files on XP?!?!?!

2006-02-09 09:22:12
Subject: Re: 5.3.2.0 client not backing up all files on XP?!?!?!
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 07:23:54 -0700
Eric,

You can use the client QUERY SYSTEMINFO command to see which files are
protected by Windows system file protection, and are thus part of the
system state.

   dsmc query systeminfo sfp

will list all system-protected files.

   dsmc query systeminfo sfp=fully-qualified-file-name -console

will tell you whether fully-qualified-file-name is system-protected.

For example:

   dsmc query systeminfo sfp=c:\windows\system32\xcopy.exe -console

should indicate that, indeed, this is a protected file.

Per Microsoft specification, system-protected files are part of the system
state, and system state backup and restore is an "all or nothing"
proposition. Therefore TSM does not permit backup or restore of individual
system state components.

Now, the question to you is, why do you need to restore xcopy.exe?

There should be no need for you to restore xcopy.exe or any other
system-protected file. As a test, go into your c:\windows\system32
directory. Do a "dir" for xcopy.exe. Then delete the file. Wait a few
seconds, then do the "dir" again. You should see the file restored. (Note:
you might want to copy xcopy.exe just as a precaution, but system file
protection is a standard feature of Windows 2000, XP, and 2003, and
something would have to be seriously wrong with your OS for xcopy.exe to
not be restored.)

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 02/09/2006
02:24:19 AM: