ADSM-L

Re: Inclexcl for root file system

2006-02-08 16:02:41
Subject: Re: Inclexcl for root file system
From: "L'Huillier, Denis (GTI)" <denis_lhuillier AT ML DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 16:02:16 -0500
I was actually trying to avoid the use of a long domain statement.  This
adds complexity and I'm looking to simplify.

In real life there are well over 20 file systems on this particular
server of which many are required.  We have strict SLA's and as per our
clients we do not back up what they don't need.  We also have a usage
based chargeback system in place which gives us a lot of incentive to
minimize the amount of non-business data being backed up.  We run daily
comparison reports of dumps of the file spacetable which alert us if a
new filespace has been added / removed from a client.  The "exclude
/.../*" allows TSM to recognize a new filespace without actually backing
up the data.

If domain is my only options then I may have to remove the exclude
/.../* statement.