ADSM-L

Re: move data script

2006-02-08 15:33:00
Subject: Re: move data script
From: Bill Kelly <KELLYWH AT AUBURN DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 14:32:34 -0600
Ashok,

It depends on several factors.  First, is the pool in question
collocated?  If so, then depending on how many
filespaces/nodes/collocation groups you've got, you might well end up
with all the tapes defined in the pool (or the MAXSCRATCH number, if
using scratch tapes) in a 'filling' status.  This is normal.  Review the
Administration Guide chapter on "Managing Storage Pools and Volumes",
especially the sections on "Keeping a Client's Files Together:
Collocation" and "Reclaiming Space in Sequential Access Storage Pools".

In general, 'move data' is not what you want to do in order to reclaim
tapes; using reclamation thresholds and/or the new (5.3) 'reclaim stg'
command will do just fine.

Regards,
Bill

Bill Kelly
Auburn University OIT
334-844-9917

>>> Ashok.Vats AT FTB.CA DOT GOV 02/08/06 11:49 AM >>>
We move data manually and it is a pain .....I was wondering what is the
"best practice"  out there for moving the data and reclaiming. We need
to free up tapes in the pool we have too many tapes in each pool with
status="filling" utilization below 28-30%

Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks,
Ashok Vats
916-845-3767