ADSM-L

Re: NQR hanging on AIX system

2006-02-08 09:26:55
Subject: Re: NQR hanging on AIX system
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 09:26:03 -0500
Thank you for this helpful feature and information. I will pass it on.

However, I do not feel the "large number of files" is the issue since
there was only 164K files restored when we did it by hand/non-NQR.

TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
02/07/2006 07:41 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] NQR hanging on AIX system

When you do not want to invoke the NQR simply put "testflag disablenqr" in
your dsm.opt file.

  It would be nice if in a future release of the TSM client code this
could be a simple check box.

  Anyway, quite often in the windows world I have to set that when I am
trying to restore a single directory on a server that has millions of
files.  I've been told by IBM that it isn't that it is broke or hung up
and if you let it run it will complete. It is just the NQR on a file
system with many files will run longer than desired. Thus they published
the test flag so that a user can disable NQR when they feel it would help.

  There is an article on it
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&context=SSGSG7&q1=disablenqr&uid=swg21083435&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

  Also,
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&context=SSGSG7&q1=disablenqr&uid=swg21142185&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

  Kyle

Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU> wrote:
  We just discovered a strange problem/issue that we can only attest to
being a client issue, but I haven't been able to find a difinitive
problem/fix.

Client=V5.1.6.0 on AIX 4.3 (thus I can not upgrade the client but so much,
due to OS and patch levels). The server is AIX V5.3.2.2.

This AIX system lost a disk.

So, we mount another disk and start the No-Query-Restore of this
filesystem.......................Client says "waiting for files from
server" and then simply sits there doing nothing.. The server side shows
minimal activity and that the client session is in a RUN state, but that
is it. No files get transfered or restored.

We tried this numerous times/ways. I made sure to stop *ALL* actitity on
the TSM server. We even bounced the TSM server, since the sessions seem
to be hanging (IBM, can we please have a "terminate with extreme
prejudice" option, e.g. the FORCE command on z/OS)

Then we discovered that selecting *1* file for restore, works. So we
tried a pattern that violates the NQR qualification rules(*.txt). That
seems to work.

So, obviously NQR at this client level (or perhaps client and server level
compatibility) seems to be broke !

All references to NRQ issues/fixes I found on the website seem to refer to
various crashes, especially when killing the restores from the client
side. None refered to the client just going to sleep/spinning its wheels
(yes, we tried letting it sit for 30-minutes)

Any thoughts/suggestions/hits I missed ?