ADSM-L

Re: Inclexcl for root file system

2006-02-07 16:42:26
Subject: Re: Inclexcl for root file system
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 16:42:02 -0500
>From: "L'Huillier, Denis (GTI)" <denis_lhuillier AT ML DOT COM>
>
>I'm trying to include the root "/" file system and exclude
>everything
>else not previously matched in my inclexcl file.
>
>Example...
>File systems:
>/
>/data
>/data1
>/data2
>/dump
>/junk
>
>Inclexcl:
>
>Exclude /.../* <-- Here I want to exclude everything not
>explicitly
>stated below which would include "/junk" and any future file system.
>Include /    <--Here I want the root file system and all
>subdirectories that are mounted on root.
>Include /data/.../* CLASS3
>Exclude /data/.../*.out
>Include /data1/.../* CLASS2
>Include /data2/.../* CLASS1
>
>The "Include /" line will not get all files and subdirectories that
>are
>part of the root file system. If I use "Include /.../*" then it
>negates
>the "Exclude /.../*" above it.

I really don't recommend making exclusion the rule and inclusion the
exception. If the system file population changes and you forget a
necessary update to the include/exclude file you may fail to backup
data that should be backed up. If inclusion is the rule and exclusion
the exception, a similar mistake might cause you to backup unneeded
data. The latter is normally considered the less serious risk.

If you must go ahead with this approach, I would suggest using the
'domain' option to limit backup coverage to the four file systems
containing the data you care about. You could then have three
excludes like 'exclude /data/.../*' and more specific includes as
in your original plan.