ADSM-L

Re: Database mirroring, again

2006-02-07 14:09:08
Subject: Re: Database mirroring, again
From: Otto Schakenbos <oschakenbos AT TELEFLEX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 19:40:12 +0100
I in my last class (tsm 5.2) it was still an issue, one way around this
issue (if I'm not mistaken) is to configure dbpageshadow in the server
options.

Kind regards DBPAGEShadow

Otto Schakenbos
System Administrator

TEL: +49-7151/502 8468
FAX: +49-7151/502 8489
MOBILE: +49-172/7102715
E-MAIL: oschakenbos AT teleflex DOT com

Corporate IT Europe
Teleflex Holding GmbH
Fronackerstrasse 33-35
71332 Waiblingen
GERMANY

Leigh Reed wrote:
Mark

I totally agree with your logic and in any other environment, hardware
mirroring would be a given. However, a few years back, I was involved in
a database corruption scenario. An unscheduled outage took down a TSM
server. At the time, the database was H/W mirrored with battery backed
up cache. A partial page write occurred, that was mirrored to both
plexes. When bringing the system back up, TSM deemed the DB to corrupt
and a DB restore was required

The advice from IBM at the time, was that you should always use TSM s/w
mirroring with MIRRORWRITE Sequential. I have carried on adhering to
this through the years, however, I would be interested in hearing if
this is no longer the case and the "partial page write" scenario is no
longer an issue.

Leigh