ADSM-L

Re: Database mirroring, again

2006-02-07 05:42:14
Subject: Re: Database mirroring, again
From: Leigh Reed <L.Reed AT MDX.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:41:28 +0000
I've always been from the many spindles, small disks, JBOD, TSM s/w
mirror camp.
In the past, I have seen a DB performance increase, by moving the DB
architecture to the above configuration.

However, like many, I have watched the threads closely and I'm seriously
going to consider the RAID0 striping option with my next major
implementation. Not sure which way I will be going regards the mirroring
(H/W vs S/W). I've been involved in a DB corruption, caused by H/W
mirroring and coupled with the fact that the previous DB backup was
corrupt, it wasn't pretty. Conversely, I have been through a number of
'unscheduled' server downs, with TSM mirroring and never had a DB
corruption.

I have been experimenting with a Wintel server and an old Compaq FC RAID
array with 12 x 18GB disks and so far the RAID0 option is coming out on
top. I appreciate that it's Wintel and Compaq, but the T&R budget
doesn't stretch. It's certainly a step in the right direction, a Linux
TSM install & test will be my next move.

Leigh