ADSM-L

Re: Database mirroring, again

2006-02-06 22:26:35
Subject: Re: Database mirroring, again
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 22:26:13 -0500
>> On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 13:07:08 -0600, Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
>> said:

> Hardware 2x2 SSA RAID10 (2-way striped mirrored pairs), raw volumes, 4
> dbvols per virtual RAID volume (hdisk), which is still 2 dbvols per real
> disk.

I think the number volumes/spindle is increasingly irrelevant in the
days of multi-GB caches in storage subsystems.  My SSA is one thing, a
sharkesque gizmo is quite another.

> There has been some discussion of relative database corruption risk
> with TSM mirroring versus hardware or OS mirroring. [...]

I've been feeling myself change opinion on this, recently.  The
reliable-storage level here is between the log and the db, no?  I
think I'll be experimenting with OS- or hardware-level protection the
next time we have a DB architecture question.  Tho, with the DS6800,
it may be a long long LONG time. :)

- Allen S. Rout