ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Exchange fails due to Compressed data grew!

2006-02-02 08:15:49
Subject: Re: TDP for Exchange fails due to Compressed data grew!
From: "Schaub, Steve" <Steve_Schaub AT BCBST DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 08:15:10 -0500
Flemming,

I suspect the problem is not in the compression, per se, but in the fact
that (I am guessing) you are sending the backup to a diskpool that has
caching turned on.  What I have experienced in the past with TDP is that
the TDP only "guesses" how large a given object is going to be when it
sends it to the diskpool during backup.  When caching is turned on and
the diskpool is full, it first has to clear out enough old data to make
room for the new.  If it guessed wrong on the final size, the backup
will fail, because it didn't clear out enough room for what was actually
sent.

I would recommend turning caching off and migrating all the data out of
the diskpool and seeing if that corrects the problem.

Steve Schaub
Systems Engineer, WNI
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee
423-752-6574 (desk)