ADSM-L

Re: restore file permissions

2006-01-27 07:21:48
Subject: Re: restore file permissions
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 07:20:17 -0500
You seem to be under the false impression that permissions are stored
in TSM independent of the object data. Not. This is why when file
system object attributes are changed, the object itself gets backed
up again. (See backup candidate criteria details in the client
manual.) Object restoral gets the attributes of the object.
Furthermore, in Unix, such attributes are in the inode, not in the
directory. Take a look at your operating system's dirent.h header
file to realize how paltry Unix directory information is.

   Richard Sims