ADSM-L

Re: DB & LOG Volume layout - new

2006-01-25 06:21:06
Subject: Re: DB & LOG Volume layout - new
From: Paul van Dongen <Paul AT VANGUARD-IT.COM DOT BR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:19:24 -0300
    I had also such an experience. I was at a customer who had a 250 (!) GB TSM
DB allocated on 8x34GB LUNs of a DMX box. Obviously the LUNs where part of RAID
groups in the DMX that were shared with other applications (in this case, a
production Oracle DB). While the access was random, things went fairly well,
but when we needed more of the DB (expiration and especially dbbackup) things
would go crazy. Full Dbbckups took in excess of 5 hours, and we saw plenty of
"hot disks" during the process.
    I wasn't a big fan of "striping all" myself, bu I decided to give it a try.
The customer's storage admin told me simply "It won't work", but I went on.
    I deleted the TSM DB and created eight striped RLVs, each of them using 4
8,5GB "pieces" of each LUN. The RLVs had 32k stripe size (So the average 256k
dbbackup IO would be satisfied using all four disks) and were allocated in a
sort of round-robin way (first RLV from disks 1-2-3-4, second RLV from disks
2-3-4-5 and so on).
   To cut it short, db backups are now made in 1h40m. And they have now time to
do expirations and storage pool backups.

   Hope this helps,

Paul