ADSM-L

Re: DB & LOG Volume layout - new

2006-01-24 14:48:44
Subject: Re: DB & LOG Volume layout - new
From: Lloyd Dieter <ldieter AT ROCHESTER.RR DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:48:15 -0500
I've been watching this thread with interest, as some of the posts
contradicted what I thought I knew.

Using nmon, I've watched a couple of systems (AIX, TSM 5.2) running
expiration and DBbackups that have the DB vols set up according to the
"one volume per spindle" premise that appeared to have spotty "hot" disks,
that is the I/O was not distributed evenly across the different volumes.
One drive would have a lot of I/O, then another, etc.

I've always striped them, in hardware if it was available, and using LVM
if it was not.  This gave fairly even I/O, but I admit that doesn't mean
that it was the fastest method.

I'd love to have a definitive answer here, because I've heard it both
ways, and when I've asked support, they didn't seem to know.

I'd like someone "piled higher & deeper" to give a conclusive
answer...anyone?

-Lloyd