ADSM-L

Re: Gene - syntax/punctuation for an object in a schedule

2006-01-20 14:50:40
Subject: Re: Gene - syntax/punctuation for an object in a schedule
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:49:42 -0500
On Jan 19, 2006, at 3:50 PM, Gene Shaffer wrote:

nohup  ./backupset/gen_backupset2.sh  > backset.out
but when I update it
with TODAY and NOW to get it to run and test it out it just sits
there.

Gene - I seriously doubt that the problem has anything to do with
       quotes or spaces.  (Unix shell redirection works fine regardless
of spaces around '>', in all the shells I've worked with.)

I think the problem is the great big assumption in the command...
as to current directory, and writability in whatever area you happen to
end up in.  Whenever you use Action=Command, USE FULL PATH NAMES.
Never assume anything about current location: always specify exactly
what you need.

If in doubt about what ended up in the TSM server as a command, use
Query commands under dsmadmc; or use dsmadmc in the first place to do
serious systems work.

Further, start with a trivial shell script for testing/trialing, which
just writes text to Stdout, for redirection to the chosen file.

   Richard Sims