ADSM-L

Re: HSM on Windows Filesserver

2006-01-20 13:25:00
Subject: Re: HSM on Windows Filesserver
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:24:30 -0800
This seems to be different then the way DiskXtender worked. I thought it had a
process that reconsiled and cleaned up TSM.

"Rushforth, Tim" <TRushforth AT WINNIPEG DOT CA> wrote:
  A field guide that has some information on the HSM for Windows:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&context=SSGSG7&q1=hsm+wi
ndows&uid=swg27002498&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

There is a section that contains differences from the unix hsm including
this:

TSM Server Reconciliation

Often, files are deleted in the user's file system after they have been
migrated to a TSM server.
Unlike TSM HSM for UNIX / Linux, TSM HSM for Windows requires an
administrator to query the
different versions of migrated files stored on the TSM server and to
manually delete those no
longer desired. Without this interaction, TSM server storage required
will tend to grow over time
even when the file systems managed are constant in size. TSM HSM for
UNIX / Linux schedules
periodic reconciliation processes to remove objects from the TSM server
when they no longer
map to files in HSM client file systems.