ADSM-L

Rebuilding a TSM Server ?

2006-01-20 07:42:26
Subject: Rebuilding a TSM Server ?
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:25:27 +0000
Hi all

*** TSM 5.1.6.2 on Solaris 2.7, moving to TSM 5.2.?.? on Solaris 2.9 ***

OK, I'm in the process of building a new replacement TSM server (Solaris).
When it's ready I will hopefully be able to turn the old machine off and
bring the new one up again with the same host name/tcp address and away
we'll all go.

I have already got the server ready, patched, IBMTape and lmcpd drivers
installed etc, so I'm about ready to move on to the TSM side of things.

The procedures that I assume I now need to go through are as follows.
Anything with a question mark is something I'm not sure about.

1)        Install TSM        -        Done
2)        Register necessary licenses
3)        Define Tape/Library devices and paths for manual library ready
for restore.
4)        Create device configuration file for above and add entry into the
dsmserv.opt file.
5)        Copy volume history file from original server ?
6)        Format Backuppool volume/s
7)        Format Database volume/s
8)        Format Log volume/s

Question re above: If for example my present database is 10GB and made up
of 5*2GB volumes, do I need to create the new volumes like for like or
could I just create one 10GB volume. i.e. is it only important to make sure
the necessary space is required and not the exact same volume layout. This
question goes for backuppool, log and database volumes.

9)        Restore database with the DSMSERV RESTORE DB command and
utilizing the device config file pointed to by the dsmserv.opt file.

10)        Alter the device configuration to change the library definition
from 'manual' to '349X' to take our 3494 library into account.
        - also add the 'enable3590library yes' entry to the dsmserv.opt
file.

Does the above plan of action look about right or am I making it too
simple. Just wondering if I'm missing something important.

11)        At this point I will be ready to upgrade the TSM Server install
from 5.1.6.2

Questions re above:

a)        Is it necessary to run an auditdb prior to doing this?
b)        What are peoples thoughts on the most stable 5.2 release to move
to?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

All the best

Farren Minns
John Wiley & Sons Ltd

The information contained in this e-mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and confidential and intended solely
for the named recipient(s).  If you are not a named recipient,
you must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information,
open any attachment, or take any action in reliance on it.  If you
have received the e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete
the e-mail.

Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
individual sender, unless otherwise stated.  Although this e-mail has
been scanned for viruses you should rely on your own virus check, as
the sender accepts no liability for any damage arising out of any bug
or virus infection.