ADSM-L

EMC Centera

2006-01-18 15:50:33
Subject: EMC Centera
From: "Spendlove, Ted" <Ted.Spendlove AT ATK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:48:38 -0700
Hi team,

We are in the process of testing an EMC Centera as a storage repository
for TSM.  We find the following snippet in:

Technical Changes for Version 5 Release 2 -- January 2004
EMC Centera Support
 Centera devices can also be used as standard storage devices if no
mandatory retention requirements exist for the data.

We have no "mandatory retention requirements"  We just want TSM to
control retention like he always has on other devices.

Now, by following the FM closely we are able to get data written to,
read from, the Centera BUT when our storage admin types do their
periodic housecleaning, unbeknown to TSM, all the TSM data is deleted.
Apparently there is an attribute of "deleteable" or "not deleteable"
somewhere in that box and TSM is not setting it.

Anyone have any knowledge/advice on how to get TSM and EMC Centera to
agree on retention controls?

TIA,

Ted Spendlove
ATK Thiokol Propulsion