ADSM-L

Parallel execution woes

2006-01-17 22:33:00
Subject: Parallel execution woes
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:34:19 +1000
Hi All

New function always seems to add new bugs, particularly with a product as
complex as TSM

I have a client with TSM 5.3.1.2 on a win2003 cluster.  There is one
maintenance_plan script that has been running well for over three months and
has evolved over time. After 10 days of normal TSM Server operation since
the last restart, suddenly we've started getting

01/15/2006 07:00:25  ANR0116W The server script MAINTENANCE_PLAN attempted
                      start more parallel commands than are allowed for the
                      server.  The server is limited to 256 parallel
commands.
                      (SESSION: 8402)
01/15/2006 07:00:25  ANR1447W MAINTENANCE_PLAN: The server is not able to
begin
                      a new thread to execute the command on line 5 in
                      parallel. The command will run serially. (SESSION:
8402)

And everything runs sequentially instead of parallel.  I've seen IC46488,
but in this case every PARALLEL command has a corresponding SERIAL. In no
case is there an attempt to start more than 16 commands at once, and there
are no outstanding processes, sessions or whatever visible.

A server restart has fixed the problem for now, but I don't want it
recurring - I have reported this to IBM but would like to know if anyone
else has an insight they'd like to share.

Steve

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Brisbane Australia