ADSM-L

Re: tape encryption and TSM

2006-01-16 12:19:33
Subject: Re: tape encryption and TSM
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:19:14 -0500
You can turn on compression in the TSM clients (at TSM 5.3 clients you
can use AES128 encryption, and with the TSM 5.3 server you can turn on
encryption for TDP clients).  But you must be VERY VERY CAREFUL with key
management; if you lose the keys, you're toast and will NEVER get the
data back.  TSM client encryption is VERY easy to implement.  Key
management is hard.

Or, you can do the encryption in hardware:
You can put encryption devices in your network, so that all the data is
encrypted BEFORE it reaches the TSM server.
Or you can put an encrytpion device between your TSM server and your
tape drives.
Hardware is probably more expensive to implement, but IMHO easier to
manage since your encryption occurs at ONE point.

Those are your choices.  All are difficult, expensive (in terms of
people time or $ or both), and ugly to manage.

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)