ADSM-L

Virtual Volumes on loopback.

2006-01-16 00:03:05
Subject: Virtual Volumes on loopback.
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:04:03 +1000
Hi All,

I have a client that needs monthly backupsets for his BA clients and exports
for his TDP clients.  The device for this is a stand alone LTO2 drive that
is separate from the main tape library (I'm eliding the detail here, trust
me, there are valid reasons why he want it done this way).  Accordingly I'd
like to try to stack multiple backupsets/exports onto a single tape.

Now, there used to be an idea that you could do this with server_to_server
communications that used the loopback interface on so that the source and
the destination servers are the same actual TSM instance.  There was also
some information that this didn't work particularly well at TSM 5.1 or 2.

Has anyone gotten this scheme to work at TSM for Windows 5.3?  OS is Windows
2003, but that _shouldn't_ make any difference.

Regards

Steve

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin