ADSM-L

Re: Restoring Novell Post offices

2006-01-13 14:27:49
Subject: Re: Restoring Novell Post offices
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:27:01 -0600
There's not really much tsm can do about this particular annoyance.
Groupwise just doesn't have an easy way to get at individual mail
accounts.  There are some things under the groupwise folders that you
don't need, but it's only 5-10% of the total anyway, so you might as
well just do it all.  If your client has enough space on the live
servers to do the restore, then there's nothing wrong with doing it that
way per-se.  We just don't because we don't have enough space to hold 2
copies, and we're always a little nervous that working on the restored
copy might somehow screw up the live PO.

>>> Timothy.Hughes AT OIT.STATE.NJ DOT US 1/13/2006 11:47 AM >>>
Thanks Troy!

It's annoying having to restore an entire mailbox just for a few
pieces of deleted/lost mail. I will check into this way of doing
groupwise restores although it will require a "restore server"
that the client has to have. When we do restores for this Novell
client they have a separate restore folder for me to place the
restores in.

Troy Frank wrote:

> We have a separate "restore server" that we put all of our groupwise
> restores onto. Because groupwise makes you restore the whole P.O.
just
> to get at one person's email, it would be a bit cumbersome for us to
do
> it on the live servers. On the groupwise servers themselves, I run a
> "dsmc set access backup * * *" command to allow this. Since we
retain
> 60 versions, and backup once a day, I can go back to any
point-in-time
> within the last two months. When I want to run a restore, I type
this
> command on the restore server, from the dsmc commandline...
>
> restore -fromnode=srcserv -pitd=1/05/2006 -pitt=08:00:00 -subdir=yes
> "srcserv/vol1:\apps\*" destserv/vol1:\srcservpo10506\
>
> So the way I'm doing the point-in-time, if you want to restore the
PO
> from 1/4/2006, I do the point-in-time of the next morning, after the
> backup would've run. The \srcservpo10506 is just the standard I use
for
> knowing which PO restore this is, you could just any folder you
want.

> Hello,
>
> I am having trouble restoring a Novell Post office box using
> point-n-time,
> A client wants a restore using a specific data but the file
structure
> doesn't
> for that date. But when I do normal restore without point n time I
see
> the file structure. Does anyone have a specific way they restore
> post office mail boxes in Novell I have never had this problem
> before.
>
> Novell 6.5
> TSM client 5.2.2
>
> Confidentiality Notice follows:
>
> The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if
any)
> is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely
for
> the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized.
If
> you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution
> or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
> prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
> error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
> documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may
have
> created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank
you.