ADSM-L

Re: Antwort: Re: [ADSM-L] Missed backups

2006-01-05 20:36:34
Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: [ADSM-L] Missed backups
From: Larry Peifer <peiferlt AT SONGS.SCE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 17:36:28 -0800
We have 90 (Win2000 + Win2003) servers running TSM client 5.3 to an AIX
TSM 5.3.1.0 server.  No problems with missed backups.  Using the
Scheduler, CAD, and Journaling in a timeframe of 7pm - Midnight.  I did
have to tune TSM when I went from 30 servers to 90 servers to prevent the
missed backup issue.  The parameters adjusted include: MAXSESSIONS,
RANDOMIZE, MAXSCHEDSESSION.  The backup window was also increased by 1
hour.

All running tsm client version 5 or later sending data to a tsm server
on AIX running version 5.3

On a nightly basis I have at least 6 or 7 of these servers that miss
their backups due to the service stopping. Is this common. Do other
people experience these misses or is it something I need to look into on
these servers. For the most part they are not the same server and I have
the schedules spread from 7pm to 12 pm hourly.

Just wanting to get a general guage of if there is something that I need
to look into that I am doing wrong or if this is a normal and acceptable
level of misses per night.

Thanks,
Andrew