ADSM-L

Re: VTL experiences?

2006-01-05 10:28:20
Subject: Re: VTL experiences?
From: "Johnson, Milton" <milton.johnson AT CITIGROUP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:26:44 -0500
I decided on a VTL because I wanted to have LAN-free backup ability and
compression with no load on the TSM clients or TSM server.  We have been
using Sepaton's ES2100 VTL for over a year with no problems (HP rebrands
Sepaton's product).

There have been numerous threads in this list about VTL implementations:
"File dev. type vs. VTL", "VTL experiences?", " Sizing for a virtual
tape library", "VTS or san disk storage", "Questions for people using
Virtual tape libraries"

The big advantage VTLs, and DEVCLASS=FILE volume virtualizers, have over
physical tape libraries are sub-second tape mounts, rewinds and
dismounts.  Combined with fast seek times those characteristics have
eliminated my need for collocation.

I have been very satisfied with the VTL choice.

H. Milton Johnson