ADSM-L

Re: VTL experiences?

2006-01-04 19:24:17
Subject: Re: VTL experiences?
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 16:24:09 -0800
The EMC CDL is running FalconStor software through some kind of license
agreement between EMC and FalconStor. I really don't know all the specifics of
this agreement.  FlaconStor has proven to be one of the best if not the best
VTL software.  Both IBM and STK resold their disk with FalconStor software but
EMC's inclusion of this Software with their hardware made it an attactive offer
to its customers.

  IBM one up'd EMC by purchasing the FlaconStor source code and that is what is
used on the TS7510. You will notice that past the first splash screen on either
the CDL or TS7510 all the rest of the screens look the same.  They are infact
the same configuration screens you will see if you purchase the FalconStor
software directly from FalconStore I believe. So if you know how to configure
an EMC CDL you will be able to configure an IBM TS7510 without any problems.
The fact that IBM now owns the source code we don't have to rely on a
partnership between FalconStor and IBM to be maintaned in order for the product
to be enhanced.

  I also believe the IBM SATA disk is beter than EMC PATA disk so what you get
with the IBM solution is the same software features from a VTL perspective but
better disk.  I know I'm asking for an argument from someone but the main point
is that you don't need to worry about how long IBM has had the TS7510 in the
market because the underlying software that is running had been around for
quite some time.

"Dearman, Richard" <rdearm1 AT UIC DOT EDU> wrote:
  Anyone out there have any good or bad experiences with VTL solutions. I
was thinking about budgeting for 1 or 2 in order to phase out the
current san file system I am using for TSM disk storage. There are
several vendors out there with VTL solutions most notably IBM and EMC.
My first choice would be to choose IBM but it is a new product and EMC
has been in the market longer.

Any comment or recommendation appreciated.

Thanks

This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and are
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the individual
responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be
taken in reliance on it, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please delete it and notify the sender or contact Health
Information Management 312.413.4947.