ADSM-L

Re: Normal # of failures on tape libraries

2005-12-30 18:23:57
Subject: Re: Normal # of failures on tape libraries
From: Larry Peifer <peiferlt AT SONGS.SCE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:23:53 -0800
We have 5 3583's with maximum # of slots and drives in each.  3 have SCSI
drives (LTO1) and 2 have FC drives (LTO2).  3 are multi-path with control
path failover.  3 libraries (2 SCSI and 1 FC) haven't had problems since
installation (3 yrs for SCSI / 1 yr for FC).  I do believe they are OEM
products but don't remember by who.  Reliability on 2 of the libraries has
been poor and it takes weeks to get repaired due to poor problem
diagnostics with IBM support techs and poor quality HW repairs with IBM
system engineers and getting DOA equipment components.  In 2006 we plan to
replace 4  - 3583's with 2 - 3584's due to the problems.

Jim Zajkowski <jamesez AT UMICH DOT EDU>
12/30/2005 01:27 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] AW: Normal # of failures on tape libraries

On Dec 28, 2005, at 2:02 PM, Tab Trepagnier wrote:

> IBM 3583

I wonder if the 3583 is an OEM product like the 3582 (which is made
by ADIC).

The IBM 3584, on the other hand, is true blue.  We have one in
production for about two years and have yet to have any problems
besides media age.

--Jim