ADSM-L

Re: Novell backups

2005-12-29 15:59:14
Subject: Re: Novell backups
From: Gary Osullivan <gary.osullivan AT STANDARDLIFE DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:59:08 -0500
hi

here are a few details to add to Richard's original query.
This tsm backup of netware data is now taking us 19 hours to complete !

Any ideas ?

-netware version 6 sp5
-tsafs (version 6.51 JUNE 18 2005)
-client server proliant DL380\G2
-Pentium 3 /1.33GHZ  dual processor 512cache
-client server internal disk 17361mb
-clent server memory (2359296kb)
-NIc 6136 gigabit

-client data is SAN attached (2 data volumes, 650Gb of data on each vol / 2.1
million object on each vol.
-number of objects scanned 4.2 million
- objects backed up: 1,527,474
- processing time: 19:20:45
-bytes transferred: 221.36 GB
-Data transfer time: 23,651.11 sec
-Network data  transfer rate: 9,814.20 KB/sec

dsp.opt file

* Tivoli Storage Manager
*
* Sample client options file for scxxxxx (ver 5.1.6.0)

*  Communications settings
*  Setting Options for the TCP/IP Communication Method
*  -------------------------------------------------------
*
  COMMMETHOD                TCPip
    TCPSERVERADDRESS        tsmgiga.slac.ca
    TCPPORT                 1600

*  Recommended for automated backup schedules
*  -------------------------------------------------------
Passwordaccess             generate

*  Setting Nodename
*  -------------------------------------------------------

  NODENAME                  scxxxxx

*
*  Recommended exclude list for NetWare
*  -------------------------------------------------------
*
*  NetWare 3.12, 3.20 specific - use the INCR BINDERY or SEL BINDERY
*  command to backup the bindery; exclude the real bindery
*  files:
*  -------------------------------------------------------
* EXCLUDE          sys:\system\net$obj.sys
* EXCLUDE          sys:\system\net$prop.sys
* EXCLUDE          sys:\system\net$val.sys
*
*  NetWare 4.11, 4.20 & 5.00 specific - NDS leaf objects can be included/
*  excluded; container objects are not affected. This example
*  shows how to include only objects in container
*  .OU=Development.O=TIVOLI
*  ---------------------------------------------------------
* EXCLUDE          directory:/.O=TIVOLI/.../*
* INCLUDE          directory:/.O=TIVOLI/.OU=Development.O=TIVOLI/.../*
*
*  NetWare general excludes
*  ---------------------------------------------------------

   INCLUDE   scxxxxx\SYS:.../*            mgm_nov
   INCLUDE   scxxxxx\SHARE1:.../*         mgm_nov
   INCLUDE   scxxxxx\USER3:.../*          mgm_nov

   EXCLUDE   scxxxxx\SYS:/SYSTEM/CSLIB/LOGS/SMLOGS/*
   EXCLUDE   scxxxxx\SYS:/_SWAP_.MEM
   EXCLUDE   scxxxxx\SYS:/LTAUDIT/.../*
   EXCLUDE   scxxxxx\SYS:/TIVOLI/TSM/CLIENT/BA/*.log
   EXCLUDE   scxxxxx\SHARE1:/graphics/.../*
   EXCLUDE   scxxxxx\SHARE1:/Internet branding shared/.../*
   EXCLUDE   scxxxxx\USER1:.../*          mgm_nov
   EXCLUDE   scxxxxx\VOL1:.../*           mgm_nov
   EXCLUDE   scxxxxx\SHARE2:.../*         mgm_nov
   EXCLUDE   scxxxxx\SHARE3:.../*         mgm_nov
   EXCLUDE   scxxxxx\SHARE4:.../*         mgm_nov
   EXCLUDE   scxxxxx\NDPS:.../*           mgm_nov
   EXCLUDE   scxxxxx\FTP:.../*            mgm_nov
   EXCLUDE   scxxxxx\USER2:.../*          mgm_nov
   EXCLUDE   scxxxxx\SOFTWARE:.../*       mgm_nov
   EXCLUDE   "scxxxxx\VOL2:/.../Windows NT 5.1 Workstation Profile/Recent/*.lnk"
   EXCLUDE   "scxxxxx\VOL2:/.../Windows NT 5.1 Workstation Profile/Application
Data/Microsoft/Office/Recent/*.lnk"
   EXCLUDE   "scxxxxx\SHARE1:/GS&R Client Install\GS&R - ICIS/*"

*  NetWare Memory management option
*  ---------------------------------------------------------------
*  The following option uses a memory conserving algorithm for
*  processing incremental backups as each directory is backed up.
*  This option may increase the duration of time required for
*  backups and increase CPU utilization on the TSM Server.
*  But will decrease the required NetWare memory needed for backups.
*
* MEMORYEFFICIENTBACKUP YES

*  --------------------------------------------------------------
*  NetWare Screen option
*  ---------------------------------------------------------------
*  The following option instructs the NetWare client to destroy
*  the TSM screen when quitting the dsmc program.
*
NWWAIT NO

*  --------------------------------------------------------------
*  NetWare user ID and password option
*  --------------------------------------------------------------
*  The following option specifies a user ID and password to connect
*  to a local or remote NetWare resource (server or NDS tree). The
*  user ID must have NetWare supervisory equivalence. Use this
*  option for each resource which will be managed by TSM.
*
*  If this option is not specified in the client options file, TSM
*  will check for a user ID and password in an encrypted file (if
*  NWPWFILE is set to YES).  If a correct user ID and password
*  is not found in a file (or NWPWFILE is set to NO), TSM will prompt
*  for a user ID and password when a backup or archive operation
*  is initiated.
*  NWUSER server_1_name\user:password
*  NWUSER server_2_name\user:password
*  NWUSER nds_tree_name\user:password

*  --------------------------------------------------------------
*  NetWare user ID and password file
*  --------------------------------------------------------------
*  The following option specifies that the user ID and password used
*  to connect to a NetWare resource (server or NDS tree) will be stored
*  in an encrypted file in the installation directory after the intiial
*  prompt. An encrypted file will be created for each resource with the
*  extension .PWD
*  NWPWFILE YES

*  -----------------------------------------------------------------
*  Silencing screen output
*  -----------------------------------------------------------------
*  Use the QUIET option to keep messages from being displayed on the
*  NetWare console and the schedule log file.  This option will enhance
*  the performance during scheduled backups. Default is VERBOSE.
QUIET

*  -----------------------------------------------------------------
*  COMMON OPTIONS SETTINGS
*  -----------------------------------------------------------------