ADSM-L

copy pool architecture question

2005-12-21 12:01:24
Subject: copy pool architecture question
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:00:50 -0500
We are looking to implement a copy storage pool in a distant location
(200 miles away).  Network connectivity is good - 1Gb e/n to start
with.  DR site is not necessarily the same location as the copy storage site.

We are considering the following options:
1. use of a remote TSM server and using virtual volumes, or
2. remotely attached tape library using iSCSI to tape drives, or
3. PTAM (pickup truck access method - moving tapes around)

If anyone has experience with options 1 or 2 that they would care to
share, I would appreciate it.

Concerns that I have:
Option 1:   using copy tapes for DR would require both primary and
remote servers to be relocated/recreated at DR site, instead of just
the primary server.
Option 2:   would like to know if anyone else is doing this and with what h/w.

Thanks in advance.
..Paul

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Systems                  Fx: 607-255-8521