ADSM-L

Suggestions on best stategy for our site

2005-12-20 14:48:55
Subject: Suggestions on best stategy for our site
From: John C Dury <jdury AT DUQLIGHT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:49:47 -0500
      We have 1 TSM server that is SAN attached to two 3494 libraries, one
local and one remote although the TSM server sees them both as local since
all data goes through the SAN. All of our TSM clients backup to the local
site and it's 3494 library and thyen during the day, that chunk of data
from the previous nights backups gets sent to the remote 3494library via
the BACKUP STORAGE POOL command.
      We are going to create a second TSM server which will live at the
remote location along with the remote 3494 library. We want the second TSM
server to be a hot standby in case of disaster at the primary location.
      Some details:
      The TSM server is running on AIX and is using a FastT for it's
primary disk storage pool as well as where the TSM DB is stored. We do have
another FastT at the remote location but do not have any sort mirror or
PPRC option licensed for the 2 FastTs.
      The FastTs do not see each other and are setup in 2 different SANs as
per IBM's recommendations.

      I'd like to have the second TSM server ready to restore all of our
clients in the event of a disaster with the minimal amount of preparation
steps as in all likelyhood, I won't be around in the event of a disaster.

I'd appreciate and suggestions you all have as I'm sure many of you are in
similar situations.
Thanks much,
John