ADSM-L

Re: journal service in a MS clustered environment

2005-12-14 14:50:47
Subject: Re: journal service in a MS clustered environment
From: Neil Schofield <neil.schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:49:32 +0000
Rainer

We have done journal-based backups on MSCS. There is no need for multiple
journal services - one per cluster node is sufficient. The idea is to have
each one configured to journal any file system on which you desire JBB, but
suppress the errors if the resource is not actually on line on that node.

The sample tsmjbbd.ini describes how the parameters DeferFSMonStart,
DeferRetryInterval and LogFsErrors can be configured to support this.

This extract from our tsmjbbd.ini shows support for journaling on two
shared files systems - G: and H:.

[JournaledFileSystemSettings]
JournaledFileSystems=G: H:

[JournaledFileSystemSettings.G:\]
DeferFsMonStart=1
DeferRetryInterval=30
logFsErrors=0

[JournaledFileSystemSettings.H:\]
DeferFsMonStart=1
DeferRetryInterval=30
logFsErrors=0

My only concern about this is what happens if a failover occurs and a file
is modified within the DeferRetryInterval. I guess if it is not
subsequently modified, it never gets backed up?

Regards
Neil Schofield
Yorkshire Water Services Ltd.

Let us know when you're moving house on-line at www.yorkshirewater.com

YORKSHIRE WATER - WINNER OF THE UTILITY OF THE YEAR AWARD

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available at http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm
Yorkshire Water Services Limited
Registered Office Western House Halifax Road Bradford BD6 2SZ
Registered in England and Wales No 2366682