ADSM-L

Re: Normal # of failures on tape libraries

2005-12-13 14:30:56
Subject: Re: Normal # of failures on tape libraries
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 14:30:53 -0500
I had a 3584 with 10 LTO1 drives for 3 years; in that time, I think we
replaced two drives. We replaced the library (lease expired) with a new
3584 with 10 LTO2 drives over a year ago; we've had one drive flake out
and replaced it about a month ago. IIRC, all the LTO1 swaps were in the
first six months.

I run about 2.2 TB of backup/archive nightly, and copy about 1.9 TB of
that for off-site.

I'd check the microcode/firmware on the drives and libraries; I didn't
have that kind of failure rate with the DLT-7000 drives, even.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc