ADSM-L

Re: TDP for R3 Slow restore performance.

2005-12-12 03:00:53
Subject: Re: TDP for R3 Slow restore performance.
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:00:46 +0100
Steven Harris wrote:
> Hi all.

Hej Steve,

> Running the native backint command to backup a single oracle file of 2GB
> size, I got 60GB/hour throughput.  However restoring this file to a
> different directory on the same disk gave me about 8.5 GB/hour.

> I've read the manual forwards and backwards, and am at a loss as to how to
> proceed.  Any ideas will be gladly accepted.

It sounds to me like there must be some bottleneck. Bet thing to do
would be to measure everything. CPU/Memory/network utilisation on both
the server and the client. And on the client als the disk performance.
What is your disk-array doing during this restore? Al that sorts of
thing. I don't think this is a TSM issue. Also, tnere might be some
asymerticy in your network, or some misconfiguration. Try tricks like
doing a normal (huge) ftp transfer from our server to your client, just
to see what is going on....

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams