ADSM-L

File Device Class and File System Fragmentation with JFS2

2005-12-07 14:38:22
Subject: File Device Class and File System Fragmentation with JFS2
From: Andrew Carlson <andyc AT ANDYC.CARENET DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 13:38:09 -0600
We are about to embark on a disk only file device class onsite pool.  I
came across the recommendation, from Dave Canon's presentation at Oxford
(http://tsm-symposium.oucs.ox.ac.uk/contributions.html presentation
Understanding Disk Storage in TSM).  It seems to indicate that you
should not use scratch volumes - that you should predefine all volumes
in the storage pool.  I was wondering if anyone has tested this with
JFS2, and if it is still a problem.  It seems like a waste of time to
predefine all those volumes, and it would impact what size volume I
would be defining.

Thanks for any input you can offer.