ADSM-L

Re: VTS or san disk storage

2005-12-02 09:43:13
Subject: Re: VTS or san disk storage
From: "Johnson, Milton" <milton.johnson AT CITIGROUP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 09:42:36 -0500
I have 12TB of SATA storage in the form of a Virtual Tape Library (VTL)
appliance, in my case a SEPATON S2100-ES2.  To TSM it's just a tape
library on steroids (rapid mounts, dismounts, etc).  I have routinely
pushed in excess of 80 MB/sec. with no problems.  It's scalable to 1PB
storage capacity and 4.3TB/hour.  Mine is not that large, configured
with only 64 virtual tape drives.  The drives even do compression just
like a real tape drive.  I decided not to go with serial file devices
because I did wanted to keep the ability to do LAN-free backups, easy
scalability and did not want to force the overhead of compression on the
TSM clients or server.

Milton Johnson