ADSM-L

Re: Network settings and poor backup performance.

2005-11-30 12:24:53
Subject: Re: Network settings and poor backup performance.
From: Rafa <rafaor AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:24:36 -0500
On 11/30/05, Ray Louvier <Ray.Louvier AT halliburton DOT com> wrote:

> Can anyone give the technical reason why auto detect on Server NICs
> cause such horrible performance for TSM server backups and restores. We

This sounds like a network problem, not a TSM one.  Quick way to prove it:
try a backup/restore  to another server on another location.

I had a similar problem recently.  My TSM servers are connected with gigabit
ethernet interfaces to  cisco switches.  This cisco connected to another
cisco switch where there was a 100Mbit connected server.  Performance was
dismal and the server interface showed CRC galore.  The NIC on the server
and the switch port were set to autodetect and both reported being 100mbit
full duplex.  The only way to solve this issue was to shutdown the interface
and bring it back up again so they would renegotiate.  Both still reported
100Mbit full but the CRC went away.

This very same thing happened on two other servers.  I don't know why the
"hocus pocus" fixed it since nothing seems to have been changed but it
worked.

Advice: check for CRC.