ADSM-L

Re: Migrate TSM Server 4.2.4 on AIX 4.3.3 to 5.3 on Linux Howto (retry)

2005-11-29 17:04:56
Subject: Re: Migrate TSM Server 4.2.4 on AIX 4.3.3 to 5.3 on Linux Howto (retry)
From: Christoph Martin <martin AT UNI-MAINZ DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:04:35 +0100
Allen S. Rout schrieb:

>>The decission was to move away from AIX, because we have no sysadmin
>>knowledge with AIX and the machine grew more and more unmanaged.
>
> I can sympathize.  Though you may have, by this message, incurred a small
> avalanche of consulting aid offers. :)

Thanks anyway. Your webpage is very instructive.

>>The problem that I see now is, that we have only one library. We want to
>>reuse the library that is now running with the AIX machine on the Linux
>>machine. I don't have an old and a new library to copy the data between the
>>old and new server. And I suppose that connecting the library as a shared
>>library virtually two both servers and then copiing the data will not help,
>>since that library is still physically only connected to one server and this
>>server will write and read in its own format, correct?
>
> I don't recall how your library was attached, or even what it was; but there's
> no reason not to hook up several servers of divergent architectures to one
> library.  If it's a SAN library, it may be nearly trivial.  And then you could
> do _just_ that: get both servers using the same set of drives, and gradually
> move load from one to the other, as your copy behavior progresses.

It is a SCSI-Library with AIT Drives directly attached to a 43p with
AIX. What I was thinking of, was doing a server to server connection and
 defining the library in the new server as SHARED. So I have a IP
connection from new_server to old_server and a SCSI connection from
old_server to library.

Christoph Martin, EDV der Verwaltung, Uni-Mainz, Germany
 Internet-Mail:  Christoph.Martin AT Uni-Mainz DOT DE
  Telefon: +49-6131-3926337