ADSM-L

Re: Migrate TSM Server 4.2.4 on AIX 4.3.3 to 5.3 on Linux Howto (retry)

2005-11-29 17:03:49
Subject: Re: Migrate TSM Server 4.2.4 on AIX 4.3.3 to 5.3 on Linux Howto (retry)
From: Mark Stapleton <mark.stapleton AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:03:31 -0600
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 11/29/2005
03:52:59 PM:
<martin AT UNI-MAINZ DOT DE> said:
>>The decission was to move away from AIX, because we have no sysadmin
>>knowledge with AIX and the machine grew more and more unmanaged.
>
>I can sympathize.  Though you may have, by this message, incurred a small
>avalanche of consulting aid offers. :)

That would have included me, but since I am now a disgruntled end-user
rather than an overly-confident consultant...well, not. ;o)

>>The problem that I see now is, that we have only one library. We want to
>>reuse the library that is now running with the AIX machine on the Linux
>>machine. I don't have an old and a new library to copy the data between
the
>>old and new server. And I suppose that connecting the library as a
shared
>>library virtually two both servers and then copiing the data will not
help,
>>since that library is still physically only connected to one server and
this
>>server will write and read in its own format, correct?

I've done a couple of customers in just the same boat you're in, with the
added complication that the single library they had was at capacity. They
finally decided to create export tapes of their two or three critical
servers, and then threw away their entire backup library and started over.

If your library has room, you can set up the new server as a library
server, and the old library as a library client. That removes the
necessity of physical connections for both servers.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT usbank DOT com)
Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains