ADSM-L

Re: Migrate TSM Server 4.2.4 on AIX 4.3.3 to 5.3 on Linux Howto (retry)

2005-11-29 16:53:04
Subject: Re: Migrate TSM Server 4.2.4 on AIX 4.3.3 to 5.3 on Linux Howto (retry)
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:52:59 -0500
==> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:00:26 +0100, Christoph Martin <martin AT UNI-MAINZ
DOT DE> said:

> The decission was to move away from AIX, because we have no sysadmin
> knowledge with AIX and the machine grew more and more unmanaged.

I can sympathize.  Though you may have, by this message, incurred a small
avalanche of consulting aid offers. :)

> The problem that I see now is, that we have only one library. We want to
> reuse the library that is now running with the AIX machine on the Linux
> machine. I don't have an old and a new library to copy the data between the
> old and new server. And I suppose that connecting the library as a shared
> library virtually two both servers and then copiing the data will not help,
> since that library is still physically only connected to one server and this
> server will write and read in its own format, correct?

I don't recall how your library was attached, or even what it was; but there's
no reason not to hook up several servers of divergent architectures to one
library.  If it's a SAN library, it may be nearly trivial.  And then you could
do _just_ that: get both servers using the same set of drives, and gradually
move load from one to the other, as your copy behavior progresses.

- Allen S. Rout