ADSM-L

Re: Full backup?

2005-11-28 13:39:02
Subject: Re: Full backup?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:40:34 -0700
It's only "cheating" if the objective of this DR test is not to validate
your current client backup process.

If it *is* intended to test your client backup procedures, then yes, it is
cheating on a far larger scale than just limiting the number of tapes you
bring with you, since you avoid testing with the real data that you would
actually have at the time of a real disaster, and therefore won't find any
issues that might fall out had you had the real set of tapes. You also
don't get your money's worth for the cost of the test. (Obviously) I do
not recommend this course of action.   :-)

But if you must, then it might be easier to just register a new node and
make a full incremental backup of that node.

I haven't worked it out in full detail, but a compromise would go
something like this: create a new disk storage pool, and use MOVE NODEDATA
to move the test node's data to that pool. Then create a new copy storage
pool, and back up the disk pool to it. You can then migrate the data from
the new disk pool back to the regular tape pool, then delete the new disk
pool. Likewise, after you've completed your DR test, you can delete the
new copy storage pool and its volumes. Your DR test won't use the original
set of tapes that it would use in a real DR test, but at least the backup
data would be the same as what you would have in a real DR scenario.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-11-28
11:18:07: