ADSM-L

Re: VTS or san disk storage

2005-11-23 17:49:13
Subject: Re: VTS or san disk storage
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:49:06 -0800
The latest VTS from IBM does not run TSM under the covers.  I'm not sure if you
are thinking about VTS (Virtual Tape System) or something else like a Document
Management system.

"Gee, Norman" <Norman.Gee AT LC.CA DOT GOV> wrote:
  I would not consider using IBM VTS as a possible solution. The VTS
internally also runs ADSM. If the tape volumes you want is not on
cache, the VTS has to retrieve it from tape, place it on disk cache
prior to sending it to the servers. This takes time. My VTS emulates
IBM 3490E cartridge tapes. These tapes has a native capacity of 800MB or
2.4GB compress. This is not a lot of data these days.