ADSM-L

Re: VTS or san disk storage

2005-11-23 13:47:10
Subject: Re: VTS or san disk storage
From: Mark Stapleton <mark.stapleton AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:31:49 -0600
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 11/23/2005
10:55:35 AM:
> I would not consider using IBM VTS as a possible solution.  The VTS
> internally also runs ADSM.  If the tape volumes you want is not on
> cache, the VTS has to retrieve it from tape, place it on disk cache
> prior to sending it to the servers.  This takes time. My VTS emulates
> IBM 3490E cartridge tapes. These tapes has a native capacity of 800MB or
> 2.4GB compress.  This is not a lot of data these days.

VTS was never meant as a virtual tape library for TSM; it was constructed
for mainframe storage usage.

IBM has a new virtual tape library; it's either out now or will be very
soon. The verdict on *that* is still out.

--
(note my new address)
mark.stapleton AT usbank DOT com