ADSM-L

TSM 5.2.6 AIX server + intermittent client session "hangs"

2005-11-22 16:05:03
Subject: TSM 5.2.6 AIX server + intermittent client session "hangs"
From: "Patterson, Scott" <SPatterson AT HESS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:04:51 -0500
Hi all..

A few months back we upgraded to TSM 5.2.6 (AIX) and since then we've
noticed some client sessions "hang" from time to time.  These stalls do
not appear to be related to a particular client or proccess.  We've seen
similar behaviour on both on WINDOWS and AIX clients, on archives
sessions and restore sessions.

For example, right now I'm seeing this session (a restore session) -

1,071 Tcp/Ip SendW  23.7 M   4.7 G   1.3 K Node  WinNT

This particular client is a W2K 5.1.5 client.  Typically, when we
identify a session like this.  We cancel the session, then restart it
and it will run successfully.  The VOLUME the session 'wants' is loaded
in a drive and is seen as such by both TSM (q mo) and by AIX using the
mtlib command.  The particular session state is always either SendW or
RecvW.

Usually these situations occur when the system is busy but not always.
I realize it is a general question but I'm wondering if I missed a
partiuclar APAR or fix... or if someone has experience with 5.2.6 being
a little flaky in this regard.

Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks in advance!!

Scott