ADSM-L

Re: Tape Volumes with ANR1330E & ANR1331E Errors

2005-11-22 14:35:32
Subject: Re: Tape Volumes with ANR1330E & ANR1331E Errors
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:15:58 -0500
On Nov 22, 2005, at 2:02 PM, Dennis Melburn W IT743 wrote:

...In a previous inquery to this, I was told to basically restore the
corrupted volumes.  This has apparently worked, as I no longer get
these
errors.  My question is, are these tapes permanently damaged, or were
just the files corrupted? Is it ok for me to reinsert these tapes
in as
scratch, or is there actually something physically wrong with the
tapes
that will cause the same errors to reappear?

Mel - Expect that to have been logical corruption of the data, on its
      way to the tape drive.

If you have any reason to suspect tapes, and seek to verify them where
the Atape driver is in use, the 'tapeutil' command "rwtest" function
may be employed on the empty tape.  Other tape environments likely have
similar test functions.  Be sure to check such tapes out of TSM before
testing, and re-label in reintroducing to TSM use.

    Richard Sims