ADSM-L

5.1.6.2 to 5.2 Upgrade - How to

2005-11-21 07:13:06
Subject: 5.1.6.2 to 5.2 Upgrade - How to
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:10:57 +0000
Hi all

I have a new server coming in the next couple of weeks and will at last be
able to get us moved off TSM 5.1.6.2 and on to 5.2.?.?.

As such, my plan of action is going to be as follows. I know the points are
basic, but for now I want to make sure the general plan is acceptable
before working out the details.

Install the new server, OS (Solaris 2.9), patches, tape and library drivers
etc
Install TSM and get it to the same level as the current live server.
Connect the new server to the lib via a fibre switch and do a restore of
the db.
Do an audit db on the restored database to make sure it's OK.
Upgrade the new TSM install to 5.2 ( do I want to go right up to 5.2.6.4
here?)

Once this is done, my basic plan is to shut down the live TSM server, and
reconfigure the new server to have the same host name, IP address etc. I'm
assuming that I can then bring this up and as far as the clients are
concerned, backups will be able to carry on like nothing has happened.

As I say, I know there are a number of small things to do, but does the
general plan look sound?

Also, we are backing up pretty much all 5.1 clients at present and as far
as I know this is fine (5.1 clients on 5.2 server). It's not likely that
I'll be able to get the clients upgraded prior to the server. Am I likely
to see any real problems with this?

I know it's all a bit vague at the moment, but I'm trying to get it all
straight in my head.

Many thanks for any advice

Farren Minns
John Wiley & Sons Ltd

The information contained in this e-mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and confidential and intended solely
for the named recipient(s).  If you are not a named recipient,
you must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information,
open any attachment, or take any action in reliance on it.  If you
have received the e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete
the e-mail.

Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
individual sender, unless otherwise stated.  Although this e-mail has
been scanned for viruses you should rely on your own virus check, as
the sender accepts no liability for any damage arising out of any bug
or virus infection.